Tuesday 30 September 2014

VISITING CORSICA PART 1 - INTRODUCTION





Spending more time with my family is high on my list of things that I want to do. Over the years I have taken on more and more work and because of this I have been less able to spend the time with the people that mean the most to me. It is important to sometimes take a break from everything around you, leave your technology behind and simply get away and this is exactly what I did for two weeks with my family.


I have visited Corsica before many years ago with my family and from what I can remember most of the time I complained about it being so so hot and uncomfortable (to justify this behaviour, it was the year of that insane heat wave and Corsica is already a very hot place anyway!). The island is very large, full of beautiful sandy beaches, culture and history.



The tourist industry has boomed across the island and has become a very popular destination, but don’t be put off by this, there are just as many untouched places that are natural and yet to be discovered.




Getting there was no small feat, to keep costs to a minimum, we drove taking a large car, two over loaded top boxes, toed a trailer as well as an inflatable Zodiac. I told you we don’t take holidays lightly! We travelled across France and Italy, staying away from any motorway and toll road, travelling through the countryside, camping along the way, it’s all about the journey. This took us a grand total of four days, with a one day stay in the French Alps, with views of the incredible Mont Blanc. There are however flights that can get you to and from the island, Easyjet fly every Sunday from London Gatwick to the main cities including Basti, Adjaccio and Calvi.

 

We spent a week down South in the Sartenais region and some days up North at St-Florent. Both these places are stunningly beautiful in their own way. There is so much more than just sandy beaches in Corsica, the island is full of history with their unique standing stones scattered throughout, hill top villages, dramatic mountains and vineyards that stretch for as long as the eye can see. I could of stayed for weeks longer and definitely feel that I will return one day to continue discovering this beautiful place.
 
 
PS. Stay tuned for more posts coming your way soon about the island of Corsica and its secret places to discover.
Rachel XO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment